Over the last 3 years there have been a number of successful club trips and we want to ensure these continue into 2018. Trips have taken place to the Amsterdam Half Marathon, local parkruns, the Lake District, Equinox24 (Grantham) and Endure24 (Leeds).
We are ‘opening up the floor’ for 2018 trip ideas and would love to hear from our membership of events they believe would make good club trips that cater for all abilities at the club.
Some ideas received to date include:
– visiting a parkrun in Germany or Poland and combining this with a Christmas market (Nov-Dec)
– combining a Lakeland Trails event (which range from 5km to 55km) with a stopover in Keswick, Ambleside, etc.
– a trip to London (Fri-Sun) to take part in the Bushy Park parkrun (the venue of the first ever parkrun) and a
10k race on the Sunday
– a trip to Ireland to take part in a parkrun and a local race
If you have any ideas on where we should head, please email us via firstname.lastname@example.org
Two events that a number of Striders are planning to attend / have signed up for, are the Rotterdam Marathon (+1/4 Marathon) and Endure24. Further details of these events can be found below;
Rotterdam Marathon Weekend – Saturday 7th – Monday 9th April
At the time of writing 2 Striders have signed up for the 1/4 marathon (6.55miles) and 6 Striders have signed up for the Marathon. Both events will be held on Sunday 8th April and are still currently open for entries.
Rotterdam is a practical place to visit for a weekend as there are up to 5 flights a day from Leeds Bradford Airport to Amsterdam, with Rotterdam just over an hour away on the train from there. The overnight ferry from Hull direct into Rotterdam is also an option (but departure would be needed to Rotterdam on the evening of Friday 6th April).
The plan is to fly out as a group on Saturday 7th April and return late afternoon on Monday 9th April. A few people are taking a longer break and spending some time in Amsterdam from the Monday for a few nights. Main itinerary is as follows;
Saturday 7th April
– Fly from LBA to AMS on KLM flight KL1542 departing at 10:20
– train to Rotterdam
– Check in at hotel (all Striders are currently booked into the NHow Rotterdam – hotel website)
– Visit race expo to pick up event numbers
– Meet up for an evening meal
Sunday 8th April
– 1/4 Marathon@09:30
– Meet back at hotel afterwards before heading into town for meal and drinks
Monday 9th April
– Chilled out morning in Rotterdam
– Train back to AMS at approx 13:30 for the 16:40 KLM flight back to LBA (flight KLM1549)
Endure24 – Saturday 30th June / Sunday 1st July
Striders entered two teams into this event in 2017 – the inaugural event at Bramham Park – and with it been so successful, the majority of last years entrants have already signed up. Two full teams of 8 are now in place but more Striders teams can be entered – the more the merrier! We currently have 2 people on the waitlist and we would need to have a minimum of 6 to enter a further team.
The basics of the event are that it is run on a 8km course between 12Noon Saturday and 12Noon Sunday. The idea is to have someone in each team on the course at all times during the 24hr event.
The cost is £61.75 each which includes camping, t-shirt and medal. Toilets and hot showers are available on site alongside full catering for the duration of the event.
If you are interested in joining us for either of the above events, please see James Wright for more details or email us via email@example.com