Did you know that you can tick off every letter of the parkrun alphabet at UK parkruns except for two letters – X, because there isn’t one anywhere in the world and Z, because you need to travel to South Africa, Australia or Poland?
With South Africa and Australia visits looking unlikely, we have decided a trip to Poland will do! The parkrun of choice is Zamek w Malborku (https://www.parkrun.pl/zamekwmalborku/) which is run under the shadow of the worlds largest castle (Malbork Castle – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malbork_Castle) and is 30 minute train journey from Gdnask – a city that is a fairly short flight away from either Leeds Bradford, Manchester, Newcastle or Doncaster airports).
After extensive diary analysis of local running events, ensuring that school holidays are not impacted and to give a decent amount of time for members to get the trip in their diaries, we have gone for Saturday 19th September as the date of choice. It is virtually impossible to get a date that will be suitable for everyone but we hope that a September date will allow as many Striders as possible to arrange their diaries to allow attendance.
So, what’s planned and how will it all work? Well the rough idea is as follows…..
- Fly to Gdansk on either Thursday 17th September or Friday 18th September
- Stay in Gdansk Thursday/Friday to Sunday/Monday night.
- Social event on Friday evening (drinks and meal)
- Train to Malbork on the Saturday AM (approx. 30 minutes), run Zamek w Malborku parkrun, breakfast at a local café, train back to Gdansk and then meet up Saturday afternoon as a group.
- Fly back to UK on Sunday or Monday.
Flights – There are a number of flight options dependent on how long you wish to stay in Gdansk for. The club will not be booking any flights – the individual members who wish to attend are responsible for booking flights. The options are as follows;
- Leeds Bradford (Ryanair Flights)
- OUT – Thursday 17/09/2020 @ 20:50 (23:50 into Gdansk)
- RTN – Sunday 20/09/2020 @ 09:50 (11:05 into Leeds)
- Manchester (Ryanair Flights)
- OUT – Friday 18/09/2020 @ 08:25 (11:40 into Gdansk)
- RTN – Monday 21/09/2020 @ 11:25 (12:55 into Manchester)
- Newcastle (Ryanair Flights)
- OUT – Friday 18/09/2020 @ 11:30 (14:35 into Gdansk)
- RTN – Monday 21/09/2020 @ 20:30 (21:45 into Newcastle)
- Doncaster (WizzAir Flights)
- OUT – Friday 18/09/2020 @ 20:55 (23:55 into Gdansk)
- RTN – Sunday 20/09/2020 @ 19:10 (20:25 into Doncaster) OR Monday 21/09/2020 @ 19:10 (20:25 into Doncaster)
Hotel – There are many options for hotels within the central area of Gdansk. Having reviewed a number of options, based on central location, proximity to the railway station (for Saturday AM departure) and costs, a good option looks to be the IBIS Gdansk Stare Miasto (https://all.accor.com/hotel/9835/index.en.shtml). This is only a recommendation and the choice is very much up to the individuals when booking. As per the flights, the club will not be making any hotel bookings – the individuals who attend are responsible for making the relevant hotel bookings.
So how do I sign up?
The following link will take you to our sign up sheet: POLAND 2020 SIGN-UP. Please enter your name, the flights you are going to book and if you would like to room share with anyone. The date is set, so its over to you as individuals to book flights and hotels but of course look to room share where possible to reduce costs if signing up as an individual, although please feel free to bring along partners, family members, etc. on the trip if you wish – the more the merrier!
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via facebook, email (email@example.com) or in person at a club night.