With our Ben Campbell Club Championship on hold for the foreseeable future, we have developed a virtual championship to keep you all involved over the next few months!
The structure and rules are very similar to our usual Club Championship, but with a few obvious changes to allow us to compete - albeit for fun - under the current restrictions. We have a range of distances and terrain across the events, so there should be something to suit everyone!
Who can take part?
- The Virtual Championship is open to all club members, including those without EA registration.
What is a 'virtual' championship?
- The Virtual Championship comprises a series of 12 different 'events' which you can choose to try. You can try one, several or all events.
- Each event takes place in a window of approximately two weeks - you run the event at any time during that window. This is to ensure we do not all try to run the same route on the same day. You are also advised to chose quieter times and days for your runs in order to help maintain physical distancing (currently 2m).
- Each event has a specified distance which you must run, some have a specific type of terrain to run on and one has a specific time of day! Most of the events do not have a specific location or course, so it is up to you to plan your route.
- There will be an overall winner of the championship, plus 4 category winners. The club may also award spot prizes during or after the championship.
How does the club know that I have run?
Once you have completed your attempt for each event, you must submit details of your run using the 'Submit result' links in the table below. Results will close 2 days after the end of each event. We will not be asking evidence of your run to be provided and are confident in the trust and integrity of our members! Do however feel free to share details of your run with fellow members who will no doubt be generous with their praise!
What are the Rules and Regulations?
- You MUST ensure your safety and that of others at all times. Should an attempt at an event not be feasible, try again at a more suitable time.
- Should you choose to run alongside other club members, or any other runners, please follow the England Athletics guidelines carefully - groups of no more than 6 and all physically distanced.
- Your declared time for each event must be the 'elapsed time', i.e. the duration between beginning and end the run. Stops and breaks in your run must be included in the time. Please don't use the 'Moving time' option which is now provided by some systems such as Strava.
- In the interests of fairness, wherever possible please try to run a route which begins and ends in the same location. If this is not possible, please try to ensure that no unfair advantage is gained through elevation.
- Please do not wear club colours during any of the Virtual events.
How is the championship calculated?
- Results will be provided for the following categories: Overall (all members), Senior Men (under 40), Senior Ladies (under 40), Veteran Men (40+) and Veteran Ladies(40+).
- Age grading adjustments will be applied in all categories in the same manner as our Club Championship and your age on 16/06/2020 will be used to determine your grading, providing a level playing-field for all. Once age-grading has been applied to your result, we will publish your overall position and your position within your category for that race.
- A minimum of 6 events from the 12 must be completed in order to qualify for the final Championship results.
- For those completing more than 6 events, your best 6 results will determine your final position.
Submit your time
16th to 29th June
Run a 10k route. Any route is acceptable.
29th June to 12th July
Conyngham Hall summer route. Please do not run this at 9am on a Saturday. Any other time is fine.
13th to 26th July
Run a 7k trail route. Any off-road route is acceptable.
27th July to 9th August
Mob Match against Nidd Valley! Run a 10k to start and finish in the same place.
10th to 30th August
Harrogate District Summer Race League 'Knaresborough' route - as contested in 2019. There will be a two alternative start/finish points - in each of Knaresborough and Harrogate. A map will be posted closer to the event with details.
31st August to 20th September
Run a half marathon. Any route is acceptable.
21st September to 11th October
Run the 'Knaresborough Crag Rat Run' route - there will likely be small changes at the beginning and end of the course. We will provide details in advance.
12th to 25th October
Run a 6k night race. All runners must wear high-vis and a head torch. Runners must also comply with government restrictions (at the time of writing no more than 6 runners all distanced at least 2m apart). For safety reasons, please do not run alone.
26th October to 1st November
'St Robert's Rush' 1 mile TT route (Abbey Road)
2nd to 15th November
Conyngham Hall route. Please do not run this at 9am on a Saturday. Any other time is fine.
16th to 29th November
Knaresborough Striders' 5k time trial route (Aspin Estate)
30th November to 19th December
Run a 5 mile trail route. Any route is acceptable